Toledotastic: More on the Nazis in Toledo

Friday, October 21, 2005

 

More on the Nazis in Toledo

My friend gave me permission to reprint this stuff from MySpace bulletins he posted.


October 15, 2005

I'm back from the demo safe and free. The anti-Nazis were a success. The Nazis caused so much anger from the neighborhood people they couldn't finish their march.

When I arrived, at 8:30 a.m., at the anti-Nazi staging area I had passed Woodward High School were the Nazis were staging their march and there were already blockades in the neighborhood and several police cars, a dozen at least. Mike Navarre showed up at the anti-Nazi staging area and I was one of the first people he spoke to. I was planning on being high profile anyway. I told him I was with SHARP and explained to him how the skinheads were originally a music culture I told him about my radio show. He asked me what I was planning and I told him I was exercising my Constitutional right to speak out against genocidal maniacs. I also spoke with 2 print reporters and Channel 13 news. They were all very interested in my Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice sign. I was the only one of my kind there. I also spoke to two neighborhood reverends who marched during the civil rights era. The most interesting people to come to the staging area were the gang in question, The Dexter Boys. I just want to go on record to say that I don't condone gangs but I recognize they exist and in some ways understand why they do. They actually came to thank us for showing up and told us they will be out there with us against the Nazis. Many cool people showed up. You know who you are thanks. We also had ARA (Anti-Racist Action) representatives from Kent, Ohio: Columbus; Pittsburgh; Philedelphia; New Jersey; Toronto; and possibly more. I would say that over 50 people showed at the staging area. When we marched to Woodward High School (incidentally my high school alma mater) more people came out to march with us from the neighborhood. That is a very integrated neighborhood and people from many ethnic backgrounds showed.

When we got to Woodward, the first thing I noticed were boneheads standing side by side with cops. At least two of the boneheads were brandishing submachine guns. In all there were only about 30 of them. Some boneheads and brownshirts. The anti-Nazis were in the hundreds at this time. The neighborhood really came out.

Yes, there was some violence. I saw Dexter Boys throw baseballs, rocks, and eggs at the Nazis. When the Nazi march started SWAT, mounted, and riot police showed. There were cops taking photos of anti-Nazi demonstrators but I didn't see them photographing the Nazi filth. There were anarchists, one, my room mate, got arrested. There was some anarchist rabble rousing but it really was the neighborhood people that started throwing bricks and rocks at cops and Nazis. While my room mate was in the police car he heard on the radio that Thomas Szych's house was damaged and he was running around waving a gun. The police did launch a tear gas bomb. Damn that shit was loud. I never heard one before. I stood with the peaceful protestors and there was a point where it looked like the mounted police were going to give us shit but we stayed on the move and chanted. Despite some violence at one point in particular, namely in front of Szych's house, there was no huge riot and more people were having a say rather than engaging Nazis and police. Not that I oppose violence against Nazis, I didn't want to get arrested. I really cannot afford all the legal hassle, unless it was absolutely necessary. Most importantly the Nazis were sent running.

This view of the day was strictly from my point of view. Other than what my trusted room mate told me were things I did and saw myself. I'm sure other people had other views on this event.



October 16, 2005

I wrote a bulletin, "From the Anti-Nazi Toledo Front", yesterday within two hours after the Nazis were chased out. Once the Nazis were chased out, the group I was with called it a day and went home. Although coming close, we never made it to the heart of the action. I was unaware that the crowd turned on the police. However, I was not surprised.

A friend of mine wrote an email to me and said the Nazis got what they wanted. I can't disagree with him. However, I do not regret demonstrating. I chose to non-violently. I weighed the views for and against going there and I chose to. I have no regrets.

This issue is very complex when it comes to matters of free speech. However, these people identify themselves with a group that commited genocide. So, I don't see how the NSM are any less genocidal maniacs. Would not letting them march somewhere be impeding their free speech or would it be the equivalent of yelling "FIRE!" in a movie theater?

Why do so many people get so fucking coy about the Nazis and other hate groups? They know who they are. Everyone else knows who they are and what they represent. Does anyone really think this wasn't going to happen? It's a poor integrated neighborhood. Regardless of who is responsible for them being poor or whatever, the fact is that most of these people feel shit on by the police and the city. In many ways it looked like the police and the city let the Nazis come out and shit all over their neighborhood. Many imply that the violence was the anti-Nazis fault. Yes, they did start it. (I saw the first rocks, baseballs, and eggs thrown. They were standing right in front of me.) The Nazis planned not to strike the first blow and they knew they wouldn't have to.

Does freedom of speech also protect you from the reaction to what you are saying? These people would see most of you and everyone you love dead. That's the MSN's message to this neighborhood and the world. They try to give moderate segregationist statements officially but they do it wearing swastikas. Not all messages have to be directly spoken. A swastika is worth quite a few words. Wearing a swastika says, "Because you're different than me I am going to put you, your family, and your friends in an oven and maybe even torture and perform grisly experiments on you before I do it." Because of freedom of speech no one is allowed to do anything when someone taunts another like that.

Of course the Nazis are prone to filing lawsuits and whatnot and there may be one from this. The police were there to try to prevent that. But when the police stand side by side with Nazis that are holding submachine guns and smiling and chatting with them (I saw it with my own fucking eyes and if you think I'm lying your fucking wrong!), it doesn't look good to the people in that neighborhood or the protestors who came. So yeah, they turned on the cops and messed up their own neighborhood. I'm sure the police got a big laugh out of that too. I don't need psychic powers to lay money down on what happened and being correct. Everyone says "You never know." Bullshit, many knew. Probability is not all 50/50. The peaceful unity rally in a distant location may have worked when the Nazis were at the courthouse last time they came to town but it takes on a whole new dimension when Nazis and boneheads are walking down the sidewalks where people live and where their children play protected by the city's own police.

The way anyone chose to deal with it was their choice and I don't want to pass judgement on those choices (unless you're a Nazi or a sympathizer, then you can go to hell). I chose to march peacefully. I did what I felt I had to do for various reasons and others had theirs. Maybe the Nazis are feeling smug about the whole thing but they're Nazis I don't see any reasoning with them. However, they need to know that there are those of us who arent' going to willingly jump in their ovens and we'll fight them when the time comes.

There were many bad things about this all around. However, this was not the Rodney King riots. Toledo is like a huge day time talk show panelist, it tends to want noteriety and attention for all the wrong things. Whenever something bad happens here Toledo almost seems to get excited for getting the attention. Watch the news reports closely and critically and see where the emphasis lies and how much they show the same clips over and over again. It was bad but it wasn't as big as the media is making it.

My last thought on this whole occurence is I can see the complexity of everything involved in this and how there are many gray areas and unclear solutions but I will go on record to say genocide is wrong.



October 18, 2005

Brian is my room mate and is one of the most generous and selfless people I have ever met. Malori wrote the post below but I agree with everything she says. If anyone has any ideas let us know.

"A good friend of mine appeared on the national news today. I later found out what happened at that arraignment; three charges: aggravated rioting, possession of a weapon in a public place, and disorderly conduct.

"Brian was arrested before the riots even began. He was carrying a night stick he bought, which is legal as long as it is not concealed. However, the weapons charge has basis because he was on the property of Woodward School. Brian did not riot. He did not even do anything violent. The police saw him lagging behind the group, and picked him up because he was an easy target. We have his arrest on tape; he did not try to resist. He was surrounded by many police officers, and was arrested before any rioting even happened.

"The charge of aggravated rioting is a felony. At Brian's arraignment, bond was posted at $11,150. There was no 10% granted, so the full amount must be paid to bail him out.

"If Brian is convicted, he could serve 5 years or more.

"Every Friday, Brian feeds needy people with other Food Not Bombs volunteers. Brian has been instrumental in organizing anti-authoritarian movements here in Toledo. He has attended many anti-war demonstrations, including one in Washington, DC. It is safe to say that without Brian, our movement here in Toledo would be close to nonexistent.

"Brian is a good person. He is my friend. And he is currently caged up in the Toledo jail, for entirely bogus charges. The worst part is, with our sick justice system, he could even get convicted of a felony and serve time.

"It is instrumental that we raise this money to bail Brian out. Please, if you can contribute in any way, I beg you to do so. Hold benefit concerts, dinners, or simply ask people to donate money. Write to your local news papers, or other independent media, to raise awareness. Anything you do, even if it is just spreading this post, is appreciated here by all of Brian's friends. Please, help us to get Brian out of jail. Any further money we raise will be used to pay bail and legal fees for some of the other 114 people arrested for standing up to the police here in Toledo.

"If you are interested in helping us with this fight, please contact my friend Chelsea at *****, and she will send you specific information."


[***** Withheld because of internet email-address-searching programs. Reply through this blog if you want the email address.]

Sift through for dirt on

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Website Counter
Visitors Since April 2005

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw