Toledotastic: Dark Water

Saturday, July 09, 2005

 

Dark Water

Conveniently concurrent with a cablesystem power failure this evening, I saw Dark Water. I won't go on about the Japanese version, director, etc. Instead I'll say plainly and clearly that I loved it.
First off, the acting was brilliant. Jennifer Connelly is as beautiful as ever but not afraid to look crappy on screen. The little girl who played her daughter managed to pull off adorable yet believable (not like some child actors who seem to be being coached by their mothers off-camera). I don't think I've seen Dougray Scott in anything since that cheesy Cinderella movie with Drew Barrymore; he also did a great job. Even better I was shocked to see Tim Roth (my ugly-actor crush) who did the best lonely guy role I've ever seen. The other two male actors - I'm kicking myself for being unable to remember their names - were perfect.
This movie has nothing to offer you if you prefer conventional slasher flicks. But if you like suspense and creepiness, you'll love this movie. Although it features a plot to keep you ready for anything that might happen (and things definitely do happen although the pace is slow at first), it's much more about loneliness, abandonment, depression and isolation. Not necessarily a good film to take someone to who has just recently been dumped or who is suffering from the aforementioned loneliness, depression, etc.
If the rest of the audience is anything to go on, the crowd was pretty much silent for the whole movie. When it let out most everyone was still quiet. That's as much as I can say without giving away the ending.

Sift through for dirt on

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Website Counter
Visitors Since April 2005

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw